So evidently, Doga is a thing. No, seriously, I found Yoga Postures to do With Your Dog and More Doga on Pinterest (the greatest time sink of all time, maybe even bigger than Facebook). There are actually several books available on Amazon, but Doga: Yoga for You and Your Dog looks to be the leading resource! I can’t wait to practice with Boogie!
I’ve been thinking a lot about yoga and professionalism. Coming from 30+ years in the corporate and non profit world, I’ve found one of my biggest challenges has been relaxing into the laid back (transient?) life of a yogi. Namaste?
I found The Yoga Teacher Manifesto (on Pinterest, of course). Here are a few of the points that really spoke to me, but the whole article is a worthwhile read for all yogis, new or seasoned.
1. Be prepared – demonstrate competency by being organized and professional.
2. Serve your students – it’s about them. Maintain student confidentiality and appropriate professional boundaries.
3. Make yourself available – connect with students after class, return emails and phone calls in a timely way.
4. Keep it real – Be a positive example of authenticity. Don’t just pretend to be a yoga teacher. Instead be yourself.
5. Remember this is not a popularity contest – stop competing with fellow teachers and avoid the humble brag or other ways of comparison.
6. Show up and be present – put aside your drama and tune in to those students in front of you.
In other news…The yoga goddesses had my back today! I started this journey last spring with the goal in mind that I would be a Sculpt teacher – combo strength + conditioning with yoga. Well, long story short – the YS Teacher Training wasn’t being offered, so I took the full on 200-hour PYTT thinking I’d still be able to teach Sculpt. Unfortunately that’s not how it works at CPY and I just couldn’t justify the expense of a second teacher training. I was teetering on the edge today of just begging George to let me take the course. With all of the YS sub requests, I’d more than make back the investment. And then, it happened…a weekend Intensive for YS teachers in Baltimore! Proof positive, if you put it ou there the universe takes care of you. Excited! Can’t wait to hear my “hooah” teacher voice!
Namaste for now 🙏🏻